Saturday 11 July 2009

No Spoilers Please

People who know me, know I’m far from a ‘squeeing fangirl’ when it comes to Russell T. Davis, but this week has seen me doff my Rusty cap at Mr. D. and his team, and say: that was a damn fine piece of British drama.

Yes, I’m a fan of Torchwood, so what! It’s part of the Whoniverse in which I proudly live. Heck! even some of my friends are Whovians - well, okay, most of my friends are of that persuasion, and I’m proud of them too.

So... this last week: Torchweek, as I’ve seen it called, my schedule was pretty much set around 9-10pm for five nights. BBC1 on the wide screen, and following the Doctor’s instructions: DON’T BLINK

Sadly, I did blink a few times, and I did miss some bits of the action. I’m old! I can’t focus on the screen if it’s full of movement - but apart from my fogey ailments, I was glued, hooked, and then totally blown away.

Superb!

To me, series three of Torchwood went deeper into the drama, nicked plenty of emotion from ClassicWho, and took me on the biggest ride of my life for five consecutive nights. I don’t want to start mentioning specific scenes, comment on plot, or even make too much of an obvious hint, as I’ve friends who have yet to watch, but I will say: I didn’t see that coming, and I wasn’t expecting that... oh and, great jumping gob stoppers, that was just simply brilliant.

And wasn’t Nicholas Briggs FAB in front of the camera - MORE!

Mind you, I was a wee bit naughty: I did allow myself one twitter: “Spot the difference between DW fans and fangirls - DW fans get excited over a quarry/fangirls at seeing JB's *spoiler*”
Yes, I’m weak - I even spotted The Shippons (but that’s a private joke).


Nothing... Time.... Distance between.
Average existence measured by mean.
Space age deities, scientific gods,
Their glories received with pretentious nods.


But back to the Whoniverse we go, and boy! was the ending left wide open... dangling ... begging for more.
Love it.
And, although the end was a tad cheesy, isn’t that just part of Doctor Who... ;)

*

No comments: