Tuesday 5 May 2009

Anneke Wills - the autobiographies



'Self Portrait' - what can I say: I laughed and I cried. Got goose bumps all over. An amazing story to tell, and what a wonderful way it was told - as if I were an old friend catching up on the gossip of years missed. The highs and the lows; the mundane and the totally eccentric; the loves and the passions, and the betrayals. But what shines through is the devotion of true friends, and the honesty that Anneke speaks. Although I guess there is one warning worth heeding: make sure the jam jar is big enough before you start.





And then I went off to get 'Naked': all the way through the 'Bhagwan years' I was often thinking of the time Anneke's mother had wanted to set the finches free from their cages in Spain - I wondered if, deep down, that Anneke had been frightened to be released from 'her cage', to be completely free, in fear of not being able to survive. I won't pretend to understand the actual details of these years, but the sense of spiritual healing rang true, and sure enough, the strength and belief in herself blossomed - and she survived the freedom in more ways than one. I sobbed my heart out for her, and smiled and cheered for her; and I cried some more, as much for myself as for Anneke. Then to feel the final contentment in her life is truly inspiring - she had Greers books, I have Anneke's.



Both books
Available online

through the
official Anneke Wills website
here.



And please visit
Anneke Wills' Facebook page

here

(managed on Anneke's behalf by her publisher, Tim Hirst).


*

No comments: